New exercise. Write for ten minutes without stopping. I would like to set the timer for twenty, but I think I'll start with ten. So....ready, set, go!

Today was a fairly exhausting day. I barely slept at all last night, only long enough to have a distorted dream, before being jolted awake by the mysterious song that I have set for my alarm on my cellphone. I say mysterious because they truly are singing, but I have no idea what they are saying or if it is even a melody. I chose it, though, because it consistently produces the effect I desire, namely, to be awoken promptly when my alarm goes off.

The trip from Manistee to Grand Rapids was uneventful, unless you count the number of flips my stomach did during the venture. For some reason, my body persisted in feeling carsick. As I did not agree with my body, it made for several humorous, though silent, arguments with myself. Mainly with my eyelids, for my stomach was calm until I closed my eyes then - flop! Over it turned. Not very pleasing. I was tired, and I wanted to catch a few zzz's before getting on the plane where sleep is surely not satisfying. So, at the too-early time of 4:15 a.m. we set off on a stomach-flipping venture and arrived at the airport in Grand Rapids a little after 6. A speedy check-in thanks to carry-ons only and an automated check-in system allowed Dad, Matt, and I some time to sit in the food court and devour two Cinnabons. Well, Dad and I devoured one and Matt inhaled the other. I'm not quite sure why he even got a to-go box. He said it was in case he didn't eat it all and wanted to take it home. Right. Like he wasn't going to eat it all. ;)

After standing in the longest security line I've ever been in at this particularly small airport (about 20 people), I endured the lame joke of the guy behind me asking if my tin of loose tea was weed. Ha ha ha. Like everyone wasn't already thinking that? I later passed him as I boarded and he stood at the counter, suavely saying he was sure his first class upgrade should have been processed already, but sure, of course he could wait. Truly a Cary Grant. Not. I think he may have even winked at me as he said it.

I did sleep on the flight, though it was fitful. Thankfully, even though we had been delayed in Grand Rapids, I made my connecting flight in Chicago. That is truly due to the grace of God because we landed as my other flight was boarding. Eek! God is merciful because my next flight was actually in the same concourse. This has NEVER happened for me before. I always have to run across the airport. Not this time! I was the last one on.

A two-hour restless nap later and we were flying over the ocean about to land in Norfolk. The descent was so bumpy I began imagining the pilot coming over the intercom saying, "Well, folks, you know how we say "In the unlikely event of a water landing...." well, this is that unlikely event. Please remain calm, and disengage your seat cushions which may be used as a flotation device. I'm sure we'll be rescued soon. After all, we can see the shore and there's a few freighters and battleships nearby." I smiled to myself and quickly prayed this was not the case, though the more I imagined it the more I kept thinking that each new bump meant a cold, wet landing. We touched the ground - jolted onto the ground is more like it - and I sighed with relief and a little disappointment....everyone likes a little adventure now and then, and we were quite close to shore.

The afternoon was spent napping, catching up on things, unpacking, and returning emails, etc. Then the evening brought about great fun! Our weekly Taco Tuesday at Tijuana Flats and then seeing Disney's "Tangled" which was quite adorable. I would see it again, though paying for 3D wasn't quite worth it. It would be fine in...2D? Sure. 2D. :)

Well, believe it or not, I'm about to hit 20 minutes of writing, so I think I will end with a few thoughts and then go write something else somewhere else and head off to bed. :)

Few thoughts:

I miss my family already, but am comforted that I will see them at Christmas very soon.

I am almost 24 which is exciting, scary, and wonderful. I like the sound of 24.

I am subbing for a 3rd grade class tomorrow through Friday. Should be fun!

I think God is teaching me what love really looks like. Not romantic love, but sacrificial, God love. Love that is inconvenient. Love that is a verb and not a feeling. I'm still learning.

I'm beginning to feel that if I don't discipline myself to write more, part of me will truly die. So here comes the discipline!

0 comments: