There are a lot of things I miss.

I miss watching Saturday morning cartoons. Well, I miss actually getting up on Saturday morning!

I miss staying out all night with a friend, sharing our souls with each other, freezing in the chilly dawn air.

I miss decorating Christmas cookies and singing Christmas carols.

But most of all, I miss being a little girl. I love my "grown up" life immensely--the busy flurry I run around in, the feats I accomplish, the endless striving for success, pushing myself to be better, learning new things, and taking care of business. But sometimes I stop in the midst of my whirl of adulthood and wish with all my heart that I could go back to being a little girl, blissfully ignorant of all the cares of the world, caring only that the sky was blue, the flowers plentiful, and the butterflies light and airy. I miss having the freedom to wear a tiara, to change my clothes six times a day, to splash in puddles, and to sing loudly and badly any little song in my heart. I wish I had more time to explore the woods, to gaze at the clouds, to soak in the moonlight, to twirl in the rays of sunshine. At heart, this is what I am. A little girl. And yes, I still sing the song in my heart, twirl in the sun, stare at the moon, and wear tiaras from time to time. I love my life, this balance of childhood and adulthood. I can't wait to have my own little girls---I'll have a legitimate excuse to giggle all the time!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And here is where theatre comes in! You can always legitimately sing, dance, twirl, and where that tiara on the stage.

Unknown said...

sorry, it was early...I meant wear that tiara...