Rain pelts my window, the gentle thudding creating a rhythm of mystery and excitement. Anything can happen on a rainy day.


I stroll down the lane, grateful for my umbrella, breathing in the fresh scent of rain washed earth. Leaves quiver with too many raindrops; the street reflects landscapes in pools of collected water; gray sky threatens to pour for the next few hours.


Without warning, the wind picks up and suddenly my umbrella is of no use to me: the rain has defied gravity and is coming from all directions. To avoid being completely soaked through, I dash into the nearest storefront which happens to be a quaint little coffee shop I've never before seen, "Jane's Nook," a coffee shop designed entirely around Jane Austen books.


I explore this unfamiliar setting with fascinated eyes, drinking in the lace, embroidery, portraits, tea sets, and of course, bookshelves full of books by Jane Austen, about Jane Austen, and about her books. The menu is full of delightful items including "Elizabeth's Espresso," "Mansfield Park Mocha," and "Jane's Java."


I decide on "Harriet's Hot Chocolate" and a cranberry scone dedicated to Catherine Morland of Northanger Abbey and settle myself in a cozy chair near the front window. I select 'Sense and Sensibility' from the bookshelf, one of my favorites, and cast a glance around the room before opening its threadbare cover. A perfect fire glows in the miniature fireplace and instrumental music floats in the air, catching everyone in its spell.


The bell above the door dings and, to my surprise, in walks the spitting image of Mr. Darcy, at least the way I imagine Mr. Darcy looks. Quite a different version than the Kiera Knightly 'Pride and Prejudice' Mr. Darcy that one is not attracted to in the beginning but falls in love with by the end. No, this handsome fellow is breathtakingly perfect. Tall, dark hair, intense eyes, well-built, high brow, and dazzling smile. He orders Harriet's namesake as well and selects the scone from the exact tray from which I had chosen.


While waiting for his drink to be made, he strolls over to the bookshelf near which I am sitting and peers at the row of books. He straightens up with a slightly distressed look and begins to ask the girl behind the counter a question.


"Where is 'Sense and--'" His eye catches sight of the book in my hands and he stops. A smile breaks on his lips and he says, "Ah, I see. Good choice. My favorite."


"Mine, too," I admit. "Would you like read it? I can choose another."


"No, no," he says quickly. "You enjoy it. Or better yet, we both could."


"Oh?" I ask curiously.


"Would you allow me to read aloud to you?" His smooth voice is irresistable. Of course I won't say 'no'!


He scoots his chair closer to mine, sips his hot chocolate, opens the book, and begins.


"The family of Mr. Dashwood had long been settled in Sussex. Their estate was large . . . "


I settle in my chair and sigh quietly to myself. My hot chocolate warms my hands; this handsome stranger warms my heart.


The mysterious excitement of the rainy day was not in vain!!





If only this had actually happened....... :D

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I absolutely love your imagination. I thinkI'd be at the White Sands and be hearing Ann Shirley give a reading. Hopefully not Rolens Reliable Baking Soda!

Naomi said...

That is the highest compliment I could ever hope to receive! Thank you!! :) I would love to be mistaken for Anne. :D

JFK said...

I love dreaming about things like this too. it sometimes makes the reality of boys borinngggg and annoyyyinnggg lolll ;)