I took myself on a date tonight. It was absolutely beautiful. I opened the door for me, drove me where I wanted to go, and paid for everything. So romantic.

I started out by dressing cutely...singing my heart out the whole time. I ordered a pizza from Papa Johns and then set out to get it. I chose the special they have running on all the commercials--the ones I've been salivating over all week: buy one large, two topping pizza and get a Cinnapie or Applepie pizza free. So I did! I opened that steaming pizza box and experiences a "Home Alone" moment: one pepperoni and bacon pizza ALL to myself. I ate one piece while driving down Virginia Beach Blvd. Finally at a red light, I reached over for the apple pie pizza. Opening the box was like smelling heaven. Oh it was so good! I couldn't stop at one piece! I had to eat two. I can taste it even now.

Licking my fingers clean, I pulled into the movie theatre parking lot. As I walked to the doors a light mist was falling, but instead of running to take cover, I lifted my face to embrace the mystery of a rain shower.

I'm sure I must have looked lonely or pathetic as I purchased my movie ticket, popcorn, and cherry Coke with no ice for one, but I was having a blast. An expensive blast, though. Let me tell you, I am no cheap date!

I walked into the nearly empty theatre and faced the dilemma of choosing a seat. Except for two in the last row, they were all open. So of course, I chose the center ones in the row right behind the aisle. Prime seating. Two couples and one lone girl came in eventually, as happy to see a nearly empty theatre as I was.

The lights dimmed slightly as the previews began to play. I'm such a sap; I cried at two of them. Previews! One was for "Amelia", the story of Amelia Earhart. From the 2 minutes of film, I was so moved by the ambition she had to fight for her dream. She didn't let any obstacle (and there were many!) stop her. That's the kind of person I want to be. The other preview was for "Fame", the re-make of the older movie. Kids with such talent and such passion. My heart went out to them as they pursue their dream with literally everything in them.

Isn't that what life should be about? The opportunity to dream as big as you possibly can and the chance to pursue it? I think it should be.

During the movie, I laughed and cried. It was so cute! I enjoyed myself very much.

I left the theatre on top of the world. I was (and am) so happy. I am a very good date.

I really love being by myself. I love having the independence to go and do whatever I want. I enjoy the little moments of savoring beauty or experiencing something new or returning a friendly smile. I like the feeling having a perfect stranger hold the door open gives me. I love dressing up for myself and no one else. It's so great to drive down the street, singing out, bouncing in my seat, and loving life.

I love being single, young, and alive.

0 comments: