After a lovely evening last night, I went to bed around 1:30. I settled in for a good night's sleep, debating whether I would wake up in the morning or afternoon. Fate choose for me.

About 4:49 a.m., I was dreaming something bizarre. I can't even remember the details anymore, but I remember someone in the dream saying, "Do you let them walk on your arm?" I had the sudden realization that this was something real and jolted awake. Sure enough, I felt the cold, wet, creepy legs of something crawling on my arm. Instantly wide awake, I grabbed at it with my other hand and recoiled, aware that I was grasping a cockroach. I jumped out of bed, tripped over stuff on the floor, and turned on the light. There it was, sitting smugly on my bed, a big, brown, disgusting cockroach. I shudder and repressed a scream. I looked at the clock. 4:50 a.m. Now I was angry. I reached for a heavy book; I was going to smash the living daylights out of him. As I swung the book down, though, he sprang from the bed and disappeared. I had no idea where he went. I just knew he was still lurking, ready to pounce on me as soon as the light was out. I shook all my blankets and pillows. I searched under the bed. I sifted through piles of papers and books and clothes. Nothing. I was staying in that room any longer.

Nearly sobbing from the trauma, I grabbed my comforter and extra pillow that I had not been using when my invader attacked, and ran downstairs, leaving the light on in my room. I flipped lights on in every first floor room before stepping into it, giving the disgusting creatures warning that I was there and if I saw them they were dead. Hopefully they scattered. Hopefully they weren't there to begin with. I drank a glass of water to calm myself and settled in on the couch. I needed my mother. Badly. But since she is 15 hours away, I put on "Little Women" instead. Next best thing.

I tried to sleep. I tossed and turned. I would get settled and then be convinced that something was on me and have to jump up all over again. I could just picture a whole army of the little demons waiting till I dozed off and then marching all over their new territory.

I woke after a fitful night at about 11, still petrified. A stray hair that brushed my arm was almost yanked out. A bead of sweat, nervously clinging to neck, dripped down and received a panicked attack. The blinking green light on my computer was almost annihilated. I live in terror of going to sleep tonight. I might stay on the couch again. Ugh. I feel so violated!

DEATH TO COCKROACHES.

2 comments:

Amy Clary said...

Ew! Ew! Ew! **shudder** I can't believe there was a cockroach in your bed. Ugh...you poor thing. Better start sleeping with a night light right next to your head. ;)

Mom said...

I agree! Ewwwwww!!!!!!!! Remember.....DON'T sleep with your mouth open!! EWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!